Welcome to the Henry Knox Papers Database! This database is a searchable index for the collections of Henry Knox’s papers held at many institutions. As part of the Knox Museum’s growing research capacity, we are continually adding sources to the HKP database and expect this index to provide access to the content of the Knox manuscripts.
Reference assistance is available by contacting Sophia Mendoza, Education Coordinator, at the Knox Museum’s Center for the Study of Early American History. In depth research assistance is available for members of the Museum and for more information please, contact the Education Coordinator at 207-354-0858 or email@example.com.
- Enter a personal name, location, or keyword into the search box.
- Click on the linked result listed to view the sources in which that term appears.
- If you click on the linked source, you will see a Description of the text and all the other indexed terms for that unique source.
- Truncated searching is possible. Searching for "Thomas" will return personal names of Thomas, as well as locations of Thomaston and Thomas Town.
- There is no Boolean searching and all multiple term searches are "AND" statements.
- Following the links for other indexed terms from any unique source will create a new search for that term in all available sources and fields.
- Keywords in the Description are indexed and searchable, but not linked.
- Names have been transcribed as they are presented in the document without making assumptions about abbreviations or initials, and names that were undecipherable have not been indexed but identified in the note field as [Some names illegible].
- Scope: Current indexing priorities are the Henry Knox Papers owned by the Maine Historical Society (1715-1839). One reel of the Henry Knox Papers (formerly the New England Hist. Gen. Collection) has been indexed.
- Content: Collections include correspondence, bills, receipts, accounts and memos. The database indexes all persons, locations, and dates mentioned in each unique document and the terms used to describe the text of the document.
- Source Key: To locate specific documents, each source is identified with a collection and a number. These source number are unique to the Knox Museum’s database and are for our reference purposes; it will not necessarily correlate to the holding institutions reference numbers:
- HKP = Henry Knox Papers (formerly New England Hist. Gen. Collection)
- Numbers = Microfilm Reel Number – Document Number
- Example = HKP 55-23 is Henry Knox Papers, Reel 55, Document 23
- MeHS = Maine Historical Society Collection
- Numbers = Box Number – Folder Number
- Example = MeHS 1-1 is Maine Historical Society Collection, Box 1, Folder 1
- This does not identify the document specifically, but narrows the range for chronological browsing.
- MHS = Massachusetts Historical Society Collection
- Access: The documents will not be transcribed or available online through this database. To view specific sources in detail:
- Microfilm is available for public use at the Knox Museum
- Visit http://www.gilderlehrman.org/ to search their collection of Henry Knox Papers where selected documents have been digitized and transcribed
- Visit or contact the holding institution to obtain copies